➡ Broida Family
Samuel A. (Karklinsky) Broida was born in Eišiškes, Salcininkai, Lithuania on 01 August 1887. His parents were Jacob Zev Karklinsky Broida (1857-1932) and Anna (Sonya) ___ (1857-194).
Sam immigrated to the US in 1905 at age 18. He married Ida Leah Deborah Oscherwitz (1888-1975) in Cincinnati, Ohio on 03 April 1910. When the 1910 US Federal Census was enumerated on 04 May 1910 in St. Louis, Missouri, Sam was in St. Louis, living with his parents but noted as married for 0 years; his wife is not enumerated with the family. Sam is listed as a peddler of dry goods, working on his own account. The same occupation is given for his brother Max and his father.
Sam and his younger brother, Max Broida, became partners in Broida Brothers Dry Goods in St. Louis, Missouri. In the 1920 US Federal Census, Sam was living with wife Ida and their 4 children and a servant in St. Louis, Missouri. Sam is listed as owning his own dry goods store. In the same census, brother Max was also listed as a dry goods merchant, working on his own account.
By 1930, Samuel and family had moved to Chicago to run the Oscherwitz family business, Best Kosher Meat Company. Max remained in St. Louis, and in the 1940 US Federal Census he is listed as President of the Broida Brothers, a wholesale dress jobber.
Thus the above photos were taken sometime after the 1910 census, but before the 1930 census. A check of St. Louis City Directories would help to narrow down the time period of the beginnings of the partnership.
In the first photo, note the old phone, name of company on window, and the still-lit cigar on the chair, waiting for the photo to be taken so it can again be enjoyed.
Notes, Sources, and References:
1) Thanks to Cousin Mitch for sharing this photo and information on his Broida line, and Cousin Jane for her photo above that was posted on Ancestry.com.
2) 1910 US Federal Census, Jacob Broida Head of Household: Year: 1910; Census Place: St Louis Ward 4, Saint Louis City, Missouri; Roll: T624_812; Page: 22B; Enumeration District: 0064; FHL microfilm: 1374825, Lines 98-100 and family continued on following page.
3) 1920 US Federal Census for Samuel Broida: Year: 1920; Census Place: St Louis Ward 22, St Louis (Independent City), Missouri; Roll: T625_959; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 423; Image: 55, Lines 91-97.
4) 1920 US Federal Census for Max Broida: Year: 1920; Census Place: St Louis Ward 23, St Louis (Independent City), Missouri; Roll: T625_959; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 457; Image: 1015.
5) 1940 US Federal Census for Max Broida: Year: 1940; Census Place: St Louis, St Louis City, Missouri; Roll: T627_2207; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 96-635
Please contact us if you would like a higher resolution image.We would love to read your thoughts and comments about this post (see form below), and thank you for your time! All comments are moderated, however, due to the high intelligence and persistence of spammers/hackers who really should be putting their smarts to use for the public good instead of spamming our little blog.